submissions accepted until 31st december 2020
Reading Hydro is currently in the process of building its twin hydroelectric turbines by Caversham Weir, in Reading, UK – we’re expecting to be commissioning them in 2021. You can find out more about where they are and how they work elsewhere on our website.
The screws will be housed within a building which will also host other equipment to operate the turbines. As a crucial part of the design, we want to make the turbine house a visually interesting focus of our project.
Our turbine building will have space specifically set aside for a public artwork, and can be described as the following:
- The North Wall: 7.0m wide x 2.9m tall
- The West Wall: 5.0m wide x 2.9m tall
The building roof will be green and, for now assume that the space surrounding the mural walls will be white. The design needs to reflect the Reading community and incorporate the following elements:
- Visual reference to energy and water
- The design should be busy as large unfilled spaces are liable to attract graffiti
- The design must fill 2 walls, as shown; the top of the West Wall can be used
- The Reading Hydro logo must be included on each wall
- Feature natural colours that can be seen in the area (additional colours, such as those in the Reading Hydro logo, can be added for artistic interest)
A full, detailed brief can be found in this document.
A cash prize of £500 is being offered to the winning entry, and they will be credited as the designer at the Turbine House and on our website, as well as be able to add the winning design to their portfolio.
Expenses up to £500 will also be covered by Reading Hydro as part of the commissioning of the artwork.
Entries are welcomed from all types of artists: professionals; amateurs and art students. All entries will be judged by a committee selected by the Reading Hydro Board (TBA).
- Closing date for submissions: 31st December 2020
- Winner notified by: 31st January 2021
- Design applied during (approx.): March 2021
Reading Hydro will require the winner to grant it a Creative Commons Licence – a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, licence to use the design for the duration of the copyright in the work. Reading Hydro will attribute any use of the design to the artist.
We are happy to consider any offers of sponsorship –
contact us to discuss further.
submit your design
Your entries must be made as separate PDF files showing scale images for each wall. Any emails with the PDFs attached should be submitted by midnight of the closing date.
To submit, please send your designs to the Reading Hydro CBS email, with ‘MURAL COMPETITION’ clearly stated in the heading.